Bringing Weapons to School doesn’t make you cool.
According to the National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, the second leading cause of death from 2002-2003, for youth ages 15-24, was homicide.
Just remember if you take a life away even by accident you cannot bring that person back.
A Grave State
In 2007-2008 school year, over 1000 incidents with weapons were reported in Colorado schools.
In 2005 36% of students in 9-12 grade said they had been in a fight. Imagine if all those students were carrying a weapon. The fights in which kids had gotten seriously hurt would probably increased and been more severe.
What you can do
- Refuse to bring a weapon to school.
- Refuse to carry a weapon for another student even if they are your girlfriend or boyfriends.
- Refuse to keep silent about those who carry weapons.
- Learn how to manage your own anger effectively. Find out ways to settles arguments by talking it out, working it out, or walking away rather than fighting.
- Help others settle arguments in a positive way. Start or join a peer mediation program.
- Report any crime immediately to school authorities or Crime Stoppers.